​Follow us on facebook

  • w-facebook

Pet Travel info on this link >>>



**Canada & USA Pet Passport Regulations**

There will be no quarantine imposed on your pet when entering Canada as long as the following requirements are met. Unless otherwise stated, the regulations below apply to domestic dogs, cats and ferrets including service and emotional support dogs and cats. Owners of other pets should refer to item 9.


Pet Microchip

Canada does not require that your pet be identified with a pet microchip, but it is recommended that you microchip your pet with a 15 digit ISO 11784 compliant microchip and register your contact information prior to traveling as a means of identification should your pet be lost or separated from you.



Dogs over 8 months of age and cats over 3 months of age entering Canada from countries Canada considers as rabies free*

Your dog or cat will need either proof of current rabies vaccination (EU Pet Passport is accepted) OR a health certificate in English or French and completed by a licensed veterinarian.

The certificate must clearly identify your pet(s) and a governmental authority must state that rabies has not existed in the originating country for the six (6) month period immediately preceding the shipment of your pet; and, your pet has been in that country for the six (6) month period or since birth.  A licensed veterinarian in your country can also do this as long as it is endorsed by a governmental authority responsible for the import and export of pets.

The same requirements apply to dogs or cats that originated from Canada and are being returned directly from a country designated by the Minister as having been free from rabies and living there for not less than six (6) months.

*Countries Canada considers as rabies-free

Anguilla, Antigua, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Fiji, Finland, Iceland, Ireland (Republic of), Jamaica, Japan, New Zealand, Norway, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (Netherlands Antilles), Saint Pierre et Miquelon, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Sweden, Turks and Caicos, United Kingdom (England, Northern Ireland, Scotland), and Uruguay.

Dogs over 8 months of age and cats over 3 months of age entering Canada from all other countries


If your dog or cat is entering Canada from a country not included on the list above, then you will need the following:

  • A valid rabies vaccination certificate issued, in either English or French, by a licensed veterinarian from the country of origin. (EU Pet Passport is accepted.) There is no waiting period after the vaccination is administered. Canada does recognize the three year rabies vaccination. Please note that if a validity date does not appear on the certificate, then it will be considered a one year vaccine.

  •  Your airline may require a veterinary certificate of health.

Dogs (1-2) under 8 months traveling to Canada from any country

Dogs and cats entering Canada that are over 3 months of age will need a rabies certificate.

Due to the problems with puppy mills and the movement of puppies, Canada is very sensitive to dogs entering the country under eight (8) months of age and will assume that, if you, as the owner of your dog, are not traveling with your dog or its papers are not in your name, it will most likely be considered a commercial shipment by customs and be subject to amicrochip, health certificate issued within 36 hours of entry, and possibly an import permit**.

An exception to this requirement involves puppies traveling from the United States entering Canada for competitions. ** If proof can be provided that your dog is entering Canada temporarily and is registered in a competition, show or a trial organized by a recognized association and meets all other requirements, an import permit is not required.

If this proof is unavailable, then the owner must apply for an import permit issued from the CFIA office in the province in Canada to which they are traveling at least 30 days in advance.

Entering Canada with puppies under three (3) months of age

Dogs and cats under three (3) months of age are exempt from import requirements unless they are traveling unaccompanied and a change of ownership is involved.

Medically Certified Guide Dogs

Assistance dogs that are endorsed as a guide, hearing or other service dog are not subject to any restrictions for importation when the person importing the dog is the user of the dog and accompanies the dog to Canada.


Blood Titer Test

A blood titer test is not required to enter Canada from any country.


Health Certificate

See rabies vaccination requirements above. If a health certificate is required, it must be in English or French and completed by a licensed veterinarian. It should identify the animal, the dates of vaccination, the manufacturer and the expiration date of the rabies vaccine. The Canada does accept 3 year rabies vaccinations. Import permits will be required for puppies entering Canada unaccompanied.

Passports & Instructions


Entering Canada by Air

Pets can enter Canada at international airports in many cities including but not limited to Vancouver, Calgary, Ontario, Quebec and Montreal. All domestic dogs and cats must be free of evidence of disease communicable to humans when examined at the port of entry. If your pet is not in apparent good health, further examination by a licensed veterinarian may be required at the owner's expense.


Puppies and Kittens

Puppies and kittens under the age of 3 months entering Canada are exempt from import requirements. See above for information regarding puppies and kittens between the age of 3 and 8 months.


Banned Breeds

The American Staffordshire Terrier, Pit Bull Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier is banned from entering or transiting the province of Ontario. The City of Toronto also bans the breeds, however, air transit is permitted. When transiting Toronto, advance notice must be provided and an agent must transit your dog.

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now